a headphone jack may be provided for recording audio. the working principle of the headphone jack is that it provides a line-level audio source. the recording audio cannot be amplified, you need to increase the recording volume after the recording is finished via the mix tool. a standard headphone jack goes through a tip, ring, and sleeve connection to deliver a stereo signal. not all recording devices can receive this stereo output. the same tip, a ring and a connection sleeve that is associated with a microphone line usually receive an audio channel. If you want to record audio from the headphone jack, this tutorial introduces 5 methods for your future reference.
Reading: Record audio through headphone jack
12 best music recording software for windows
10 best audio recording software for mac
how to record internal audio in windows?
part 1: how to configure the headphone jack for recording?
To set up the headphone jack for recording, you first need a 3.5mm male to male audio cable, which can be used to associate your devices with a speaker. One audio plug at the end of the audio cable should be inserted into the headset, while the other end should be inserted into the microphone slot on your computer. once this operation is done, that means the output audio will be redirected as input audio. then any audio you need can be recorded from the microphone. Now you can play the audio you would like to record, and then run the recording software on your computer and hit the “record” button to start the recording job. If no ripples can be seen in the recording software, you need to check and make sure the setup is running correctly.
Because the audio is routed through the cable, this method can also be used to record audio from android or mac or any device with the 3.5mm audio jack. you only need to remove the audio jack from the headphone slots, and then insert it into the headphone slot on other devices. then it will work normally even if you change the audio source.
part 2: how to record audio from headphone jack on windows and mac?
If you want to record audio from the headphone jack on both your windows pc and mac, a third-party audio recording software will do you a good favor. is a useful audio recording software that can help you record audio from multiple sources, such as online music, built-in input audio, and computer audio, including audio from headphone jack. and the recorded audio can be saved as mp3 or wav output format without data loss. Due to the advanced database, recorded audio music tags can be added automatically. Furthermore, those tags can be manually edited using the built-in music tag editor. Thanks to various practical settings like task scheduler and audio parameter editor, all audio can be recorded easily and efficiently. The following will show you how to record audio from headphone jack on windows and mac with leawo music recorder.
step 1: download leawo music recorder
Leawo Music Recorder
: Record any sound from the computer’s audio stream and embedded input audio. – Record music from 1000+ music sites like YouTube, Facebook, Veoh, Vevo, etc. – schedule music recording via internal recording task scheduler. – auto/manually add and fill music tags like artist, album, cover, genre, etc. – save recorded music files in wav or mp3 format for wide uses.
Step 2: Set the headphone jack as the audio recording source
run the software after installation. then in the main interface, click the microphone icon at the bottom left corner. in the pop-up settings panel, click the audio recording input option and select the recording device that comes from the headphone jack from the drop-down menu.
after setting the audio source, you can also set the output format and output directory in the format tab and general tab respectively.
step 3: start recording audio from headphone jack with leawo music recorder
click the red “start” button to let leawo music recorder work. at the same time, output sound into the microphone connected to the headphone jack. once the audio is complete, click the same button again to stop the recording. tags will be added to the recorded file automatically, and you can also edit them in the media tab.
part 3: how to record audio from headphone jack with windows sound recorder?
To record audio from the headphone jack in windows, a free utility program called sound recorder is built into your computer, allowing you to configure audio recording to meet your needs. When you want to record a short and easy voice memo or send someone an email with an audio attachment, the sound recorder will be of great help to you in the event that you don’t have a microphone to plug into the jack. computer input, using a headphone jack to plug it in for your record would be a good substitute. Before recording audio from the headphone jack via windows sounder, the headphone settings must be configured as per the following steps.
- Step 1 – Find the headset that comes with the minimum amount of padding around the headset to fit your computer.
- Step 2 – Connect your headset to the computer by inserting it into the jack of the microphone on your computer. the connector for the sound card is located on the back of the computer. If there is no microphone jack for your sound card, you can insert your headphones into the “line in” jack. you can refer to your computer’s user manual or go to the internet support site to find these mentioned connectors if you find it difficult to find them.
- step 3: Right-click on the microphone icon located in the system tray that is near the system clock. then a drop down menu will appear. click “recording devices” to activate the “sound” window.
- step 4: click “microphone” icon, then the “microphone properties” window will be displayed by clicking ” properties”.
- step 5: you can find the volume slider to control the microphone volume by clicking the “levels” tab.
- step 6: click “slider” and then slide it to the right until it reaches maximum volume. then click “ok”.
After finishing the above setup, you can start recording audio by following the steps below:
part 4: how to record audio from headphone jack on mac?
See also: Using headphones with hearing aids
every mac is equipped with a headphone jack and a built-in microphone. so you can get confused when every time you record an audio: is the audio coming from the headphone jack or the built-in microphone? for audio fanatics, you can invest in a decent microphone or sound card for better recording quality, so there’s no single input source. Furthermore, similar to Windows PC, there is also a built-in Mac application for recording audio: Voice Memos. With this app, you can use your mac as a recording device. To switch to recording audio from the headphone jack, follow the steps below.
- step 1: go to system preferences > sound check. on the window button, click the use audio port to change the input audio source option in the drop-down menu.
- step 2: launch the voice memo app on your mac
- step 3: click the red record button. at the same time, sound your microphone. When finished, click the done button in the bottom right corner and the recording will be automatically saved to your local drive.
part 5: how to record audio from headphone jack with leawo screen recorder?
if you want to record audio from headphone jack and system sound together, the only option you can choose here is leawo screen recorder. There are actually four modules in Leawo Screen Recorder: Screen Recorder, Audio Recorder, Webcam Recorder and Screen Capture. To record audio from headphone jack, you can adopt audio recorder module here. With multiple selectable formats, you can easily record audio from the headphone jack to MP3, AAC, M4A, OGG, DTS, Opus, AC3, MKA, or FLAC to meet any of your devices. Below are the steps to record audio from headphone jack with leawo screen recorder.
△ step 1: download leawo screen recorder
click the button below to download leawo screen recorder. then follow the instructions on the screen to install and run this software.
Leawo Screen Recorder
: Record all activities on your computer screen as hd screencast. – record video from your webcam. – record any audio from your computer and/or microphone. – capture anything on your computer screen as a screenshot. – add drawings, annotations, watermarks, mouse animation and bgm to recordings. – high quality output with multiple selectable formats.
△ step 2: set recording preferences
Before recording audio from the headphone jack, you can set the output directory, audio format, audio quality and audio sample rate first. click the three-bar icon in the upper right corner and choose settings to open the preferences panel. then click the output tab on the left column to set the output preferences and click the ok button to save the changes and return to the main interface.
△ Step 3: Start recording audio from the headphone jack
In the main interface of leawo screen recorder, click the audio recording button to enter the audio recording module. then in the secondary audio recorder interface, you can choose to record system sound and/or microphone sound. to record audio from the headphone jack, you can click the triangular button next to the microphone button. From the dropdown menu, you can choose the recording device connected to the headphone jack. After setting the audio source, click the rec button to start recording audio from the headphone jack.
part 6: how to record audio from headphone jack via free sound recorder?
free sound recorder is designed to record any audio from multiple types of sources. Recorded audio is kept in original quality with this powerful sound recording tool. any voice and sound can be simply recorded from the different channels like external lp and microphone, dvd player, radio, etc. the recording quality can reach what you expected. This software’s powerful and comprehensive audio recording and editing is essential for recording high-end sounding and digitized musical instruments. But, some of the audio recording software can range from professional products to the simple app with the essential function. free sound recorder is the recording software that comes with multiple features, which would be your best choice among all audio recording software. how to record audio from headphones with a free sound recorder, the specific steps are listed below for your reference.
- Step 1: Start the free sound recorder on your computer after the output audio has been set to the input audio through the headphone jack.
- Step 2: sound card and sound source must be selected. click the window button “show mixer” in the dropdown list, where you can find the microphone volume. then choose the correct recording device via the “recording device” dropdown menu. then the balance and volume should be adjusted to your needs.
- step 3: click the “option” to open the options panel. the output format must be set according to the selections of wma, mp3, ogg and wav. recording quality can be adjusted by clicking the “settings” option to set parameters and specify presets. to choose the output directory for the recorded audio, you can click the “change” option. In addition, the recorded audio file can be automatically named according to the time and date.
- Step 4: You can click the “record” button to start the audio recording, if you want to end the recording, click the “stop” button to stop your audio recording. the recorded audio will be saved in the output directory and displayed to you with essential information including location and file name, duration and time.