how to self-install your own optimal internet
optimum takes most of the guesswork out of setting up your home internet connection. As long as your home is already set up with a wall jack for your devices to plug into, the process is completely DIY. there are only a few steps to follow for a successful optimal self-installation.
optimal internet purchase
Depending on your service area, optimum has multiple speed-rated internet packages. No matter which package you choose, Optimum’s download speeds are some of the fastest. speeds vary between 100 and 940 mbps. to determine how much internet you need, check out allconnect’s page on how to buy internet. Once you’ve ordered service, wait for the optimal self-install kit to arrive. If you don’t want to wait for a Optimum Internet Setup package to be shipped, you can request to pick one up at an Optimum store near you.
Reading: How to connect optimum router
configure your optimal compatible modem
find your coaxial cable connection for modem settings
Typically, connectivity enters your home through a coaxial jack. look for a coaxial wall jack with a round connector. A coaxial cable connects from the wall outlet or jack to the cable modem. you will need to locate the coax wall jack to start the optimal modem setup.
optimal modem configuration or your own modem
Once you know where the coaxial wall jack is, it’s time to unpack your equipment for optimal modem setup. optimum provides everything you need to get the best internet connectivity in your home. modem lease for $10/mo. It also includes a free Smart Router and free Wi-Fi extender to reach areas of your home with weaker signals.
Sometimes you’ll find all-in-one devices that work as both a modem and a router. however, optimal keeps them separate. If you’re wondering why you need both computers in the box, the modem serves as a gateway and the router broadcasts connectivity throughout your home wirelessly.
Here’s how to connect the modem:
- connect the coaxial cable to the wall jack and to the back of the modem.
- connect the power cable to the back of the modem.
- connect the cable to the wall outlet.
- connect the ethernet cable from the port on the back of the modem to a device of your choice, such as a laptop. this step is optional. if you plan to use a wifi router, the ethernet cable will connect to the router instead of a computer or device.
- turn on the device.
- wait a few minutes for the device to complete cycle.
- The modem is ready when four lights turn solid green and the fifth light begins to flash amber.
- Your home is now ready for a wired connection using an ethernet cable. to add wireless connectivity, you will need to go to the optimal settings of the router.
If you’re wondering if you could use your own modem, the answers are varied. optimal customer service indicates that you cannot use your own. however, users on reddit boards say they were able to successfully use a third-party modem. using your own modem may require some technical knowledge to set it up correctly. If you want to avoid the $10 monthly rental fee, it may be worth trying to install your own modem.
optimal router settings and modem connection
optimal router configuration is the next step. you will need the router so that the devices can connect to your home network wirelessly. These are the steps to follow:
- make sure the modem is configured and working properly. four lights should be solid green and the fifth should be blinking amber.
- connect the yellow ethernet cable from the back of the modem to the back of the router.
- connect Remove the power cable from the router and plug it into a wall outlet.
- If the front power light does not turn on automatically, press the power button on the back of the device.
- wait a few minutes for the two lights on the router to flash green together, indicating that the router is ready.
See also: How do you pair Altice boxes?
You may be able to use your own wireless router with the optimum modem. however, the isp does not provide support or troubleshooting for third party devices. follow the instructions provided with the router to connect to the optimal modem.
connect your devices to your wireless network
Once your modem and router are set up, you can connect your devices wirelessly. the network name and password are located on a label on the back of the router. Most routers come with a long string of characters for the SSID and password, making it hard to recognize your home network or remember your password. you can always change the information by logging into your router. To protect your privacy, do not choose a password that is too easy to crack.
optimize your internet connection
The last step to complete in the self-installation process is an optimal activation. the internet service will not work until you complete the process. activation registers your modem and router, allowing you to use your home network freely. to activate your service:
- go to install.optimum.com
- enter your 13-digit account number, which can be found on your bill, the packing slip, or store receipt optimum.
- once you have activated the network, you are done.
the end result
optimum offers high-speed internet service at an affordable price. equipment rental is $10/month, but includes a modem, wireless router, and range extender. it’s a good value for the monthly fee. Optimum does not bind customers to long-term contracts for greater flexibility. cancellation of the service is possible without penalty. it is as simple to install the service yourself as it is to cancel it.