if you want to know how to repair beats headphones quickly and without spending too much, this is the place for you.
beats is a well-known brand for a reason. The brand’s deep bass, remarkable style, and celebrity endorsements helped make Beats one of the best choices for consumer-grade headphones.
Reading: Beats headphone pad repair
however, they are not indestructible. Like any earphone, they can break if dropped, stepped on, or crushed. Unfortunately, accidents can happen even with the most careful owners.
Worse yet, finding help can be difficult, especially since apple support can take up to ten days and require you to spend more. Considering the price of these headphones, who would want that, right?
rest easy though, because you’ve landed on the right page. If you are facing the dilemma of broken beats, here is an ultimate home repair guide for any hardware problem.
beats headphone repair: should you do it yourself?
While the idea of repairing your own physically damaged Beats headphones may be exciting, you must be willing to take the risks it entails.
beats headphones aren’t exactly cheap. and repairing headphones yourself, rather than relying on professionals, can do more harm than good.
so, before you jump right into fixing your heartbeat, consider the following pros and cons:
Sending your beats to a technician who knows how to repair beats headphones can take weeks. but at least he is sure that his precious beats are in good hands and won’t void any guarantee that it happens.
But not everyone has the time (and money) to spend on those repairs. Not to mention that physical work with the hands has been found to reduce rates of depression. so it might be tempting to try it yourself.
In fact, even Apple encourages DIY repairs. Depending on the situation and your warranty coverage, you may be entitled to Apple DIY Parts Service. here, apple will send you the necessary headphone parts to repair your beats in exchange for the defective ones.
however, not all physical damage is covered by this DIY parts service. That is why it is always advisable to check the warranty coverage before carrying out any repair.
how to repair beats headband
The headband is the backbone of your headphones. but they are also one of the most fragile parts, especially if your beats headphones are dropped or broken in your bag. This is because beats headbands are usually made of plastic to keep the overall weight of the headphones lighter, rather than more durable materials like steel.
Here’s how to repair beats headphone headbands:
Tools you’ll need:
- torx screwdriver
- needle nose pliers
- spare tape
- Unplug the headphones from any audio jacks or chargers.
- Using the torx screwdriver, remove the four screws on the sides of the headband. Then, detach the small plastic part the screws were holding in.
- Pull off the headband cushion and H-shaped hinge-protector.
- Carefully snap off the old headband and remove the hinge pins with your needle nose pliers. Be careful not to damage the wire the connects the earcups.
- Put the new headband piece and reinsert the hinge pins.
- Insert the wire that connects the headphone cups through the groove in the top.
- Replace the hinge protectors and cushion. Then, replace the small headband piece with the Beats logo and you’re all done!
Watch the demo video for more information!
how to change beats headphone batteries
Even if you’re careful and follow all the rules, the beat’s batteries, like all rechargeables, will eventually wear out. They won’t charge anymore or run out of power too quickly. without being too complex, this is usually due to cathode decay in the battery.
each step to repair beats headphone batteries will depend on the beats headphone model. For this, our detailed beats battery change guide will help you. but as a sample, follow below for a short guide on beats studio 2:
- pry tool
- small screwdriver
- new battery
- Use the prying tool to remove the outside center cap on the right ear cup.
- Unscrew the ear cup from the base.
- Remove the “R” tab. Then, pull apart the plastic housing.
- Disconnect the battery cable from the mainboard.
- Use the prying tool to remove the old battery.
- Replace it with the new battery.
- Reassemble the headphones in the reverse order that you took them apart.
Please refer to the video guide for more details. Remember to check out our detailed guide for other beat styles.
how to repair beats headphone speakers
If the headband is the backbone of your headphones, the speakers are the soul. if this part has problems, you might be tempted to throw out the headphones. plus, they just won’t sound as good as they should.
but, like any other part, they are also replaceable.
however, beats headphone speakers are often surrounded by other electronic devices. That’s why it is essential to know how to disassemble the speakers without damaging them.
- pry tool
- small screwdriver
- soldering gun, solder and flux.
- Remove the padding on the damaged side.
- Unscrew the speaker housing.
- Unsnap any wires in charge ports.
- Unsolder the speaker wires.
- Briefly heat the charger port to remove it. Then, remove the small rubber ring from the MS port.
- Solder on the new speaker’s wires.
- Snap back the charger port in. This doesn’t need to be glued down.
- Put the small rubber ring on MS port and snap it in.
- Screw the new speaker’s housing on and place back the padding, and you’re done!
For a video tutorial, this audio-visual guide will also walk you through each step of the process.
how to fix broken beats headphone plugs
People have been saying the headphone jack will die out for years. However, despite the infiltration of Bluetooth headsets, USB-C, and Lightning ports, the 3.5mm standard prevails for many uses. and with the connectors and plugs come the frayed cables.
luckily, frayed cables can be fixed. in fact, our standard headphone cable repair guide will generally cover what you need to know.
but, for a detailed guide on how to fix the jack on your beats, please continue:
- soldering gun, solder and flux
- a new auxiliary connector
- heat gun
- blue loctite
- heat shrink tubing
- Cut off the damaged AUX cable, leaving as much wire remaining as possible.
- Carefully remove the outer layer of the cord (about ¾’s of an inch should do) to reveal the wires inside.
- Separate out the gold, red, and green wires and twist them per color. You can cut down the insulation and extra wires to save room.
- Slide the wires through the end piece of the new headphone plug.
- Cut the clear shrink tube in half. Then, slide the cable through the shrink tube. It should rest on the end piece of the new AUX port.
- Put your flux on the ends of each wire bundle and solder each wire tip.
- Apply flux and solder onto each of the points of the wire-receiving end of the new AUX port. Make sure the points don’t touch. Solder on the wires in the order listed in the diagram below:
- Test your speakers (and mic) to make sure they work. Once that’s okay, carefully slide apply heat with the heat gun or hair dryer to secure the heat shrink tube.
- Slide the back up and seal with blue loctite glue, twisting firmly into place. Add 2P-10 on the cable side of the back, as shown below:
- Spray TP-10 activator on the region.
- Let all chemicals dry before using the headphones.
This solution can take a long time, one to two hours, depending on your soldering skills. Since this is a bit technical, you can also visit this video for a step-by-step visual guide. once you’ve done it once or twice, it will be much easier.
how to replace ear pads on beats headphones
as nice as beats headphones are, the ear pads tend to wear out or worse, rot.
Fortunately, replacing the ear pads on beats headphones is a bit easier than what we just did in the previous section. see our guide to replacing ear pads for more tips.
- replacement pads
- pad tape
- pry tool
- old toothbrush
- Gently insert the prying tool in between the speaker housing and the ear pad of the pad to be replaced.
- Start prying away at one section. Slowly work your way around the pad until it loosens enough to come off.
- Use the toothbrush to carefully scrub off any old dirt, glue, dust, etc. on the driver.
- Apply earpad tape to the replacement headphone pad. Make sure the holes line up properly.
- After the tape is fit snugly to the pad, remove the tape cover.
- Carefully orient the earpad and attach it to the headset where the old one was removed. Make sure to press and hold the earpad to the headset for a few seconds or until a secure bond is formed.
how to repair beats headphones via apple support
If you feel overwhelmed by doing the repairs yourself after reading the instructions above, you can consult apple support instead.
You may feel that if you’re using apple support then you won’t have to do much. While that’s true, it’s best to be fully informed before spending your hard-earned money on repairs.
for that, here are some things you should know:
how to make a service request
Before you make a service request, you probably want to know if your heartbeats qualify.
older beats fall into two categories, “classic” and “obsolete”.
“Old” products are those that are at least 5 years old and less than 7 years old. there may be some limited help available.
“Obsolete” products include all monster brand beats and any beats 7 years or older. no hardware service available for ‘stale’ beats.
Once you have decided that your products can still be serviced, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://getsupport.apple.com/
- Select ‘Service Request’
- Choose ‘Chat to Arrange a Repair’ to arrange your repair via chat box or ‘Call to Arrange a Repair’ to get in line for a live call.
- Fill out your name and email address (plus phone number, if you opted for a call) to begin support.
additional costs and time needed
Of course, convenience comes at a price. and, for this, it involves your time and money… while the whole process might be a bit complex, here is everything you need to know from the beats repair website:
- approximately 3-10 days after beats are shipped.
- local apple authorized service providers may have different return times.
- It will be confirmed with you after the technician examines your heartbeat.
- Detailed repair price list can also help you!
the last wire is soldered. your feet are up. the most comfortable cushions to grace this land rest on your ears.
Finally, you can enjoy the freshest hip-hop beats without spending a lot of money. Hopefully this article helped you get to that point!
so what fixed your beats by dre? Did you burn your finger while soldering? oh, we hope not! In any case, leave a comment below and tell us about your experiences.